Smithfield Hog Production Vendor Expo Whole Hog Cook Off Guidelines
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
1. All Cooking Teams consist of one Team Captain and no more than three assistants. Smithfield will provide the whole hog. Each team will provide their cooking device, and all equipment necessary for cooking, worktable, chairs, tent or canopy. All seasoning and cooking of meat is done within the confines of the team's designated cooking space. All meat must start out raw and uncooked.
2. Please follow all food and health safety guidelines in the handling, storing and cooking of the meat. Your pig will be available to be picked up from the onsite refrigerated trailer.
3. Each contestant will have an On Side Judging which will be looking at the whole hog.
4. For the On Site Judging entries are scored in areas of APPEARANCE, BROWNNESS, SKIN CRISPNESS, MOISTURE, AND MEAT & SAUCE TASTE. The scoring system is from 40 (best) to 2 (worst). A score of 1 is a disqualification and must be approved by the head judge. Scoring based on total points earned, not an average. If there is a tie, the lowest score is dropped to determine a winner. If still tied the highest score in the taste category determines the winner.
5. Site appearance is not a judged criteria; however an orderly cooking site is encouraged. Garnish is not considered in the scoring of the entry.
6. Small containers of sauce are encouraged for On Site Judging for dipping (SHP will provide sauce containers for each team). Remember, this is a BBQ contest not a sauce contest so don't apply your sauce so thick that you can't taste the meat. Too much sauce can affect the overall score.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2019
8:00 a.m. - Cooking area open for setup
3:00 p.m. - Cooks Meeting
8:00 p.m. – Hog Distribution
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2019
10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - On Site Judging
Following judging - Clean up
TBA - Winners announced and prizes awarded
Contact: Neill Westerbeek for additional information: